Deck & Conn, Log 8 – Firing Point Procedures

Okay, so I got both a lot less and a lot more done in the past week than I’d hoped. Wait, week? Was it a week? Two? Week and a half? What even IS time? Regardless, it’s partly because I actually let myself relax a bit – saw friends, went on photography expeditions, and just generally made my time off work just a bit more holiday and a bit less… work

But then there’s the fact that what I ended up doing took more work than I’d presumed. Or, rather, I forced it to take longer.

So let me explain…


Deck & Conn, Log 5 – World Gen & UI

It’s been a hot minute since I did a dev log, and that’s partly because what I ended up doing in the last little while took a lot more time than expected – or, more to the point, I got a lot more done than I expected.

In short, I worked on world generation, some pen ‘n paper UI design and fixed a pile of bugs I’d missed.


Deck & Conn, Log 4 – A Touch of Class

So, the last few days I’ve been working on Deck & Conn, but… not much that’s exciting. Not to anyone seeing visual progress, that is. In fact, really only ONE new front-facing feature was added. What I was actually doing, however, was quite interesting to me, and very useful for the project as a whole. So here’s a run-down, starting with back-end changes and ending on the major front-end one.


Deck & Conn, Log 3 – Widget the UI-watcher

This is a quick blog post being written before Day Job(tm), but I’m going to try to cover what I ended up doing with my rather heavy development day yesterday. Note: I’ve gotten in the habit, for this project, of taking both screen caps (or partial ones), and small videos to illustrate things I had just implemented. I’m hoping this means by the end of the project I will not only have these development logs, but even more detail showing the progress of the game over time.


Deck & Conn, Log 1 – In The Beginning…

So, I’ve (as always) got quite a few projects on the go. I can’t NOT make things, apparently. From dioramas to wargaming scenery for a friend to an app idea to a pretty sizeable game project.

Something I decided I want to do, for mental health reasons, is to finish something. And quickly. Not, like, ‘in a week’ or something absurd like that, but to do what I’ve often found is useful in the past – pick a small, manageable project, and ship it.

This means several things:

  1. The game design must be pretty solid
  2. The game design must be pretty simple
  3. I must be passionate about it, or I will lose interest over time
  4. I will make it with the simplest tools I can

This will be (partly to keep myself accountable) a development log of my journey making it.